Monday 13 June 2011

America Wants More of Carl froch


WBC Light Heavyweight Champion Bernard Hopkins and IBF Super Middleweight Champion Lucian Bute join the growing list of potential future opponents of super Brit WBC Super Middleweight champion Carl Froch. Bernard Hopkins seems to be the front runner should the Super 6 finalist pass the stern test That Andre ward presents. Hoping to use the Cobra’s ever growing fan base stateside B-Hop will try to tempt Froch and Matchroom boss Eddie Hearn into a Vegas show, and I don’t mean Chicago or Calamity Jane.

It’s too early to say whether Hopkins Or Brute will be high on Froch’s agenda with talented and undefeated Andre Ward posing a huge threat in the super 6 final. Many experts home and away, almost every expert in the U.S predict an easy night’s work for Ward. Are they just biased or is Andre Ward simply that good?, Probably the latter. Let’s not forget about Mikel Kessler who can boast the only Pro Boxer on the planet to get one over on Froch and you’d be mistaken if you believe Carl Froch is just going to let Kessler off the hook. Carl wants to rectify it and I think Kessler could very well be next in line no matter what the outcome of the super 6 final.

I watched Ward v Abraham twice just to make sure me eyes didn’t deceive me and quite frankly was a amazed. I immediately contacted my brother after the first time of watching and gave him a round by round run down of what I had just witnessed. Unbeknownst to me, my brother had sky+’d the fight and hadn’t got around to watching it. Just like your friend that insists of telling you the end of a movie you have not quite got around to seeing but always wanted to see.

I believe my words were “Ward fought the perfect fight”. I simply could not fault Ward and to this day I struggle to say anything negative towards him. Carl Froch however has found a loop hole in Andre Wards armour, “he’s not known as a power puncher” thanks for that Carl, now I have an angle. Carl Froch came under some criticism after his win over Glen Johnson concerning his leaky defence mainly due to his low left hand. Johnson tagged Froch with his famous over hand right more times than Cobra Carl would like to remember. However Froch never seemed troubled and came back strong every time.

Speed may be a factor for Carl but I think it’s mainly going down to be Carl’s iron chin and Ward’s lack of power. Both fighters can box 12 rounds without breaking much of a sweat but Froch is a 12 round master and has an impressive knock out record.

As for the future I understand a stadium fight for Froch in his hometown of Nottingham is high on Eddie Hearn’s wish list. Kessler fit’s the bill perfectly and should Froch v Kessler the second coming find it’s way to Nottingham’s City Ground, it will take some serious camping out to land tickets for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment