Thursday 14 July 2011

Derry Mathews 'Ahead of Jennings' Exclusive

One of the many talents fron Liverpool shared hid views with Silver Dukes ahead of his Summer Bash 'em up. Derry Mathews speaks of the past, present, future and of course NO WAY OUT.

Dukes; Firstly how are preparations going?

Derry: prep has gone first class once again, Oliver Harrison as got me in great condition along with Johnny Roye and James Morton at the university where I do my strength work, I also have a mind coach Brian Macready who has done some great work with me, am leaving nothing to chance.

Dukes: You were originally scheduled to fight Gavin Rees who unfortunately suffered ligament damage in training, how has the change of opponent affected your training schedule?

Derry: I was down to fight Jennings first then the Rees fight came along so it hasn’t been to bad have let Oliver and Bri deal with the coaching have just out on with staying focused.

Dukes: So July 30th Merseyside Derby with Stephen Jennings not a bad substitute for Rees?

Derry; No its a hard fight this is his chance to go up the ladder so I have to make sure am ready and on the 30th I think a few will realise am a few leagues ahead of Ste at this stage in are careers.


Dukes: Rees Tweeted he would reschedule the fight as soon as he’s fit, is that still the plan after Jennings?


Derry: The Rees fight is happening in October we have done the deal with Eddie Hearn and I think the fans want to see it.
I for one can’t wait to see the fight with Gavin Rees.

Dukes: It seemed the Jennings fight was made almost instantly after Rees pulled out, how did your Team manage to pull that off?

Derry: The Jennings fight was already on until I got the Rees fight offered to me soon as fight was cancelled I spoke to Ste Vaughan Jr and told him to make the fight ASAP, the show sold out in 10 days there’s no tickets left. I keep telling promoters am a ticket seller and we have the best fans on the planet.


Dukes: Jennings at 27years old and only 5 pro bouts under his belt, have you had a chance to really study him, couldn’t have been easy to get tactics put together for this one?


Derry: Yeah I know Ste well, we are mates, we boxed each other 3 times, I won all 3 so he will want to get a win , he’s a good fighter and is meant to be a big puncher but like I’ve said before to people am the biggest puncher at 9st 9 , lets see how he handles going 10 rounds getting hit back, remember bags in the gym don’t hit back opponents do.


Dukes: We briefly spoke to Paul Smith Jr about the talent coming out of Liverpool and another Merseysider Tony Bellew sets out this Saturday night to make his claim for a world title shot just how many future world champions are coming out of Liverpool with yourself not too far away from an EBU title shot?

Derry: Liverpool is flying at the moment and not trying to sound big headed I feel me and Vaughan are boxing it back on the map I was our first champion in many years have been a pro nearly 10 years now and like I said I brought a title to the city then rest of lads have kept it up, the talent is best in country look at the likes of smith brothers, Bellew Selkirk Rocky Fielding, Paul Edwards the lads at the gym Martin Murray there all capable of winning major titles.

Dukes: The lightweight division is really heating up with Murray v Mitchell also what is your take on the current Lightweight scene? 

Derry: 9st 9 is a great division to be in I rate Mitchell as the best out there I honestly think he is a world class fighter just had a bad day at the office last time, then there is Murray Crolla Rees, Limmond and myself, you try tell me that this is not the hardest weight to win a British title out right.

Dukes: Just how far can Derry Mathews go?

Derry: Derry Mathews will go to the top again, first I have got to deal with Jennings then I’ll prepare for Rees then I’ll leave the rest to Oliver and Ste Vaughan Jr but I want a big world title fight that would top my career off.

A big thanks to Derry Mathews for taking the time to speak to us ahead of another big night for domestic Boxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment