Tuesday 28 June 2011

Cleverly Eyes Up Title Defence Stateside

WBO Light Heavyweight Champion Has returned home after a long and well deserved vacation in Florida and claims he wants to return to America but with his Title in tow.

Rested and refreshed from his May showdown at the 02 Arena London against Aleksy Kuziemski, Cleverly sets out to impress in his first title defence and he is keen on returning to the states later in the year with Vegas high on the list of destinations. Apart from mass amounts of gambling, shows, 5 star hotels or even the place where you could legally marry your goldfish in the company of Elvis Presley Las Vegas is also the home of world Boxing.

"I'm raring to go," said Cleverly. "I trained hard for my fight in the May and it was good to take some time off.

"But I can't wait to get back in the gym and starting making preparations for my first title defence.

"I will fight anyone promoter Frank Warren puts in front of me, and that includes any of the big name Americans.

"I got a taste for the US when I went to Las Vegas in 2008, and I'd love to go back there as a world champion and defend my title."

WBO champion Beibut Shemenov showed his interest for a possible meeting in the States with Cleverly but feared he may not make the trip across the Atlantic to take a fight. With these revelations it is entirely possible A Nathan Cleverly v Beibut Shemenov WBO/WBA Title fight could be penned.

I would not expect anything to come of this just yet as Cleverly’s promoter Frank Warren has another big boxing event just around the corner on July 9th
 Tavoris Cloud picked up an 8th round TKO win over Yusaf Mack on Saturday night in Saint Charles, Missouri so the IBF champion may also be a possibility with Chad Dawson v Bernard Hopkins all set for October 15th for the WBC title.

This is all ifs and buts and down to whether Warren and Clev decide to go for another title, Jean Pascal would prove a big fight stateside for Clev and not forgetting Tony Bellew also wants a crack at Nathan Cleverly which would draw in great crowds in the UK and a return to the 02 would be imminent.
These are great times for the Light Heavyweight division with top American fighters leading the way and the British contingent hoping to make an impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment