Thursday 30 June 2011

The Jackal with Dukes, And the winner is…..

Ireland’s own Super Bantamweight Celtic Champion Carl Frampton shares his views with Silver Dukes. The 24 year old (10-0 6 KO) Irishman has caught the eye of hall of famer/Former World Champion and Manager Barry McGuigan who has spoke of the young man’s talent. Barry McGuigan MBE believes Frampton has the tools to emulate the great Steve Collins and even McGuigan himself.
Here’s what Carl told Silver Dukes;

Dukes: What is next for Carl Frampton?.
Carl: There has been talk of me and Kiko Martinez fighting. His team have said they would give me the fight with Martinez for the EBU title, in Belfast, in September. This would be a massive fight for me and definitely my toughest to date but its one I know I can win. So I really hope it gets made.
Dukes: Having the right men in your corner is of great importance, what have you learned from one of the very best fighters to come out of Ireland in Barry McGuigan?.
Carl: It's great having Barry as a manager. He's a legend of Irish boxing and he's really looking after me. Along with Gerry Storey and his son Shane, Barry has also helped with my training. He brings me to his house to stay so I can get the best possible training and sparring. I think he really believes I can get to the top and I aim to prove him right.
Dukes: Do you feel you are ready to challenge for the British/European title?.
Carl: I'm ready for the British, commonwealth or European title right now. So what ever comes first I know I'm ready.
Dukes: How far can you go?.
Carl: I truly believe I can become a world champion. I wouldn’t have turned pro if I though I could only achieve British or euro level, and stayed amateur and tried to qualify for London 2012.
Dukes: What is the current boxing scene like in Ireland with the likes of Paul McCloskey and Matthew Macklin leading the way?.
Carl: Boxing in Ireland is on a real high at the minute. Obviously with Paul, Brian Magee and Matthew doing great things on the world stage but you also have a lot of new guys coming through such as myself, Eamon Okane, Jamie Conlon, Patrick Hyland, Spike O’sullivan and Steven Ormond. Things are looking really bright.
Dukes: Do you feel the Bantam and Super Bantamweights are under rated in the eyes of the media?
 
Carl: I do feel that the Super Bantamweights are over looked. In my opinion its one of the most competitive weight divisions in world boxing. There is some massive fights out there which I hope to be involved in sooner rather than later.
Dukes: Superstitions play a big part in the lead up to a big fight, are you superstitious?.
Carl: I don't really have any superstitions. I'm not superstitious at all.
Dukes: Which current boxer do you most enjoy watching (Pro’s Choice).
Carl: It has to be Pacquiao. He's not just my present day favourite fighter but probably my favourite of all time. So exciting! I have to give a mention to my good friend paddy Barnes. I love watching him box. So fast and aggressive for a little man and always involved in pulse raising fights.
Dukes: Who were your inspirations growing up?
Carl: As a young boy my main sporting inspiration was Wayne McCullough. He was and still is a hero of mine. He was such a dedicated athlete. He was unbelievably fit and brave. He would fight anyone. He had a chin like no one else; he was always very respectful to his opponents in and out of the ring and is a gentleman.
There you have it, I have seen Carl fight and trying to sound unbiased he is a real talent and Barry McGuigan has every right to believe he has a future world champion under his arm. After only 10 professional fights you may say he has not really been challenged and I would agree with you, But, and there is always a but, look at the likes of Maidana or Alvarez who had stacked up their fights without so much as a whisper until last year.
All it takes is that one fight that the world remembers then we are hooked, I feel Carl Frampton falls into that category and within one or two more fights his time will come.

As always we’d like to thank Carl for taking the time to talk to us and share his views with all of our readers, I am sure it will not be long until TV fights around the world comes a calling and you will get the chance to see one of the hottest tickets in Ireland.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment