Friday 1 July 2011

Yassine El Maachi, Prizefighter Champion Exclusive

The Moroccan born Londoner spoke to us over the phone this morning and told us what the future holds and how Prizefighter changed his career. 17-4 southpaw El Maachi beat Peter McDonagh, Colin Lynes and Junior Witter at the Prizefighter Light Welterweights tournament hosted by Eddie Hearn and Matchroom. Let’s find out what is in store from the man himself;

Dukes: What is next for Yassine?

Yassine: I am not sure yet, my manager Steve Goodwin is hoping to get an IBF title fight signed and we are waiting for possible date to be set. I would love the title fights to come with help from Frank Warren and Eddie Hearn, I would get in ring with anyone, any time anywhere. I would also Love to fight Matthew Hatton, I could teach him a great lesson on how to box if he would take the fight. I would love to fight the younger brother of the Hitman, He has not fought abroad fight and displayed his country’s flag, I carry two flags with me to each fight and I take great pride in that.

Dukes: You are on some what of a winning streak, what has changed?

Yassine: I have not lost in 4, I dropped McDonald in fourth round they pulled Him out, and I don’t believe that any fight should only last four rounds but I mashed him and his corner stopped it. There is a lot of difference with the media calling and more people want to talk to me. Frank Warren offered me a contract, we are still working on it and it will be one of the best boxing deals for everyone involved.

Dukes: You have struggled to find opponents in the past. So much so your promoter at the time offered a reward of £15,000 for anyone to fight you, why do you think this is?

Yassine: Because I don’t come to lose, my manager Steve Goodwin offered to pay Anth Small £50,000 just for him to fight me and he wouldn’t take the fight. We try to get the big names but no-one will fight me. I don’t want to fight Journeymen no more.

Dukes: Would you be interested in a Prizefighter final rematch with Junior Witter?
.
Yassine: Yeah I would love a rematch with Witter or Lynes 10 rounds, 12 rounds I’d love it. I was ill on prize fighter u could c I had flu and I suffered with a chest infection earlier that week, but I can perform much better than that. Even though I was ill I was still putting pressure on every one. Witter and Colin Lynes, I took the fight to him, the final was too messy, He (Witter) felt my power and try to run away.
 
Yassine on Promoters and management;Yassine: Steve Goodwin is a good friend of mine and he is like family and you always have to keep your family close and look after them. I have been with Steve since 2009 and have achieved big things, like the International Masters Title and most recently Prizefighter. Even though I will be fighting for Frank Warren, Steve Goodwin will remain as my manager as he has been with me from the start.
My Dream is to be world champion, WBC or IBF I don’t mind. My other dream was to win Prizefighter and I have done that now.
 
Dukes: Which current boxer do you most like to watch? (Pro’s choice)

Yassine: My favourite boxer’s of all time are Sugar Ray Leonard and Sugar Ray Robinson. David Haye has to be my favourite current boxer, he’s a fighter, and he doesn’t get scared he just gets in there and does his thing; it’s like hit him if you can.

Dukes: Who wins Haye/Klitschko?

Yassine; Haye, KO win in the middle rounds between 5 and 8, Klitschko is good but with the heavyweights one punch can chance everything. Too much confidence can work against you sometimes but I don‘t think it will cause a problem for Haye.

Thanks to Yassine El Maachi for talking to us and we wish him and Frank Warren the best of luck in the Future. El Maachi is possibly the single most confident Pro boxer I have spoke to, I always say there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance and in this case it is simply sheer confidence.

Yassine asked me if I had heard anything on the next Prizefighter and said he would sign up and do it all again in a heart beat. This proves to me that Prizefighter is on the up and means more to everyone involved than it seems. Some say the prize money could be better but ultimately it gives a second chance for fighters to rebuild a career or a newer fighter a stepping stone to a title fight.

I say long may it continue, I am a huge fan of Prizefighter, the winner has to adapt to three different opponents to be crowned champion with little or no knowledge of the men in the other corner and a curse of being the pre tournament favourite it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment