Thursday 7 July 2011

‘Far from Gone’ Paul Smith Jr Exclusive


Former Super Middleweight British Champion 30-2-0 Paul Smith Jr from Liverpool told Silver Dukes exactly what the Future holds for the Real Gone Kid. You may remember Paul as that guy Degale beat once but if you’re a real boxing the first round demolition of Jozsef Matolcsi at the 02 Arena back in May will still live large.

One of Smith’s most memorable fights for me was an impressive 12 rounder with highly rated Tony Dodson.
At the 2002 Manchester Commonwealth games Paul made the short journey back to Liverpool a silver medallist after losing out on Gold to some one named Jean Pascal (Never heard of him) Yeah right. We all know what Jean Pascal has achieved since turning pro but that is for another day. Paul ‘Real Gone Kid’ Smith was swiftly picked up by Frank Warren and headed down the road to the British Super Middleweight Title and the WBU International title.
 
Dukes: An impressive come back at the 02 in May and 32 pro bouts under your belt what is your next move?

Smith: I am hoping to go down to Middleweight and waiting on the boxing board’s permission once I prove I can comfortably make the weight. There are some big fights at Middleweight and with a bit of luck I hope to return in September or early October. I am hoping a major title is just around the corner maybe a fight with Martin Murray or an EBU shot with it looking like Darren Barker will be vacating it.

Dukes: James Degale recently returned to training and looks to be heading for an EBU title shot himself, would a rematch interest you?

Smith: if the fight makes sense, if there is a title there to fight for. Everyone seen Degale beat me and I hold my hands up, he done his job and beat the man in front of him. I am making no excuses but I didn’t feel at my best leading up to the fight, I was nowhere near 100% and on reflection should have pulled out. I know I can beat Degale when I’m 100% and I would do a better job on Degale than Groves did. I wish James all the best for his European title fight and I hope he wins, I hope he goes on to a world title; it would be good for British boxing. I am sure somewhere down the line we will meet again but I feel my future is at Middleweight.

Dukes: You’re no stranger to fighting away from home like Denmark/South Africa and California and some Brits have been criticised for refusing fights abroad, would you like to travel to get your fights or is domestic domination a priority as some feel fighters should make sure they are number one on the domestic scene before taking in the sights abroad?

Smith: I would gladly travel anywhere to take a fight. We all went to Germany to support Matthew Macklin; it was great just being part of the team and to be in his corner on his big night. I have been looking at Middleweight’s and IBF champion Daniel Geale from Australia would be a great for me and I would gladly travel down under to fight him.

Dukes: A lot of talk about the Klitschko brothers now cleaning up the Heavyweight division, the Murray brothers on their way to glory and the Smith brothers making their stand on the pro scene, yourself and Stephen ‘Swifty’ Smith both claiming medals in the 2002 and 2006 games, Liam ‘Beefy’ Smith 6-0-1 sure to light up the Welterweight scene and Callum beating former world champions the rivalry must be a lot of fun?

Smith: it is great, we have a great rivalry and great banter, there’s never nothing serious we all look after each other and help each other out. All the boys at the gym, we are a team. I have been sparring with Matthew Macklin and I feel I am getting back to where I want to be. Watching Macklin in Germany seeing the level he was at and I feel I am getting back to the same level. Watching John Murray training ahead of his fight with Kevin Mitchell, just being apart of the gym is great.
 
 
Dukes: What is your ultimate goal? World champion?

Smith; I would love to be world champion, Degale was a blip and I’ve moved past it, I have put right what went wrong.

Dukes: Which current boxer do you most enjoy watching? (Pro’s choice)

Smith: Mayweather or Pacquiao I think Mayweather would beat Pac-man but both bring so much to a fight.
Dukes: Liverpool and Manchester United are great rivals and both city’s produce fine boxers, you’re from Liverpool and train in Manchester, is there a boxing rivalry between the two or is it more of a case let’s have a race to the world stage?


Smith; there is a lot of top kids coming out of both cities which is great for everyone, I train with Joe and sometimes we give each other stick, I put up on the wall about Liverpool’s 5 Champions league trophies and they replied with the 19 league titles.

We would like to thank Paul for his time ahead of his training session, and for another insight into the cauldron that brews a champion’s spirit, a warrior’s heart and a winning mentality that is Gallagher’s Gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment