Wednesday 6 July 2011

‘Pick of the Prince‘ Callum Johnson Exclusive


2010 Commonwealth gold medallist Callum Johnson spoke to us earlier this lunchtime ahead of his debut fight under new Trainer Joe Gallagher. Johnson has proudly taken up a slot on what is sure to be the single best British Boxing card of the year on July 16th. Callum joins in the action alongside Lightweight European champion John Murray as he defends his strap against Domestic rival Kevin Mitchell, Ricky Burns puts his world title on the line against former WBO Super Featherweight Champion Nicky Cook and Tony Bellew v Ovill McKenzie 2.

Johnson represented Scotland in Delhi last year which seen the young Light Heavyweight walk away with the top prize, not just a gold medal but a professional contract with world renowned promoter Frank Warren. With Prince Nassem as his manager and Frank Warren as his promoter there was only one thing left on the perfect shopping list, join the gang at Gallagher’s gym.

After no less than 95 professional wins and 40 international fights Callum has made a perfect start to his short pro career and is hoping to keep the record going come July 16th.
Here’s what he had to say;
 
Dukes: Prince Naz is already tipping you to become a world champ, does this add pressure or inspire you to perform?

Callum: Working with Prince Naseem is great, I really looked up to him as a kid his influence will and input will be good for the future, there is a bit of pressure but I just go about my business and take each day and each fight as it comes.

Dukes: 120 amateur fights and a perfect start to your pro career, how would a loss affect you this early on?
Callum: a loss this early on would a massive set back this early on in my career, I try not to think about losing and a loss is the last thing on my mind.
 
Dukes: You have only two pro fights behind you but already have the backing of Prince Naseem/Frank Warren and now train in the UK’s answer to Wild Card Gym in Gallagher’s with some of the greatest current talent in the UK, what have you leaned in your short time in the gym?

Callum: I have learned loads since I joined Gallagher’s gym, I have been doing 6 or 8 round sparring with the likes of Matthew Macklin and Paul Smith Jr amongst other top British names. I have been working on pacing a fight and my conditioning. I’m really enjoying it. Frank Warren is the biggest promoter in the UK and one of the biggest in the world and it is a massive privilege to be part of such a big boxing card on July 16th.

Dukes: What would you say separates Gallagher’s Gym from the rest?, we have a lot of quality Boxing Gyms in the UK but few that produce as many champions and winners

Callum: the atmosphere, the dedication from the boxer’s, trainer’s and Joe himself. The knowledge Joe has is inspirational to our training and looking at all the belts the guys have and thinking I want one.

Dukes: You are a Gold Medal winner from the 2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games, what would you say to our Olympic team ahead of next year’s Games and what sort of role does the Commonwealth and Olympic games play in the future of boxing?

Callum: I thought long and hard about waiting for the Olympics after winning gold at the Commonwealth games but decided to start my professional career. The 2012 Olympic team has some great amateurs and I expect GB boxing team to pick up medals. The games are important to the development of young amateurs around the world.
 
Dukes: Which Current boxer do you most enjoy watching? (Pro’s Choice)


Callum: Anyone from Gallagher’s Gym.

I also asked Callum briefly about the change of date for John Murray v Kevin Mitchell and he added “it’s a shame for all the fighters that were involved on the card after all the hard training they put in as it was shaping up to be a great night of boxing”.

While I was keeping Callum Johnson from his training schedule and draining Joe Gallagher’s battery on his mobile I thought of would be rude if I did not ask him of his opinions on Matthew Macklin’s attempts in Germany. “When Macklin fought Sturm I seen a massive difference in Matthew, I still say he won the fight”. many of us still have our opinions about Sturm/Macklin and we seem set to stick with our choice as people still talk about it.

We would like to wish Callum the best of luck for fight night. I would like to say a massive thanks to Joe Gallagher for allowing us the time to have a chat with Callum before putting him through his paces.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment