Saturday 2 July 2011

‘McKenzie is in for a Shock’ Tony Bellew Exclusive!!!!

Tony ‘Bomber’ Bellew is currently in the middle of preparations for his Light Heavyweight Commonwealth rematch with Ovill Mckenzie but the Bomber opened his inbox to let Silver Dukes get a behind the ropes insight on things are going for the 15-0 (10KO) Commonwealth Champion
In the first fight with McKenzie, Bellew picked up an 8th round TKO win over at the Echo arena in his home town of Liverpool.


Dukes: A rematch with Ovill McKenzie July 16th, how are your preparations going?

Bellew: Preparations have gone great, I could not be happier, I have 6 pounds to lose as of today (before training) and I’m flying in the gym, My output is at the highest its ever been and I’m getting better track times than ever before, My body fat levels are the lowest yet for this stage of camp and I know come the 16th July Ill be at my best and most patient I’ve ever been! McKenzie is in for a shock!.


Dukes: I understand Ovill accused you of using drugs after your first fight and had a drug testing unit sent to your home recently, do you feel this is a sign of weakness from McKenzie?

Bellew: Absolutely, He showed me his hand and it was a disgusting accusation to make! However he has been humiliated as I passed the test the very next day! I take it as a compliment personally BUT it is disgusting to have the sport I love dearly dragged through the mud by someone who just cant believe that someone took his best punch and was able to continue? How is that any kind of basis to make such a claim? Like I said he should be severely punished for his accusations by the BBBoC because he is single handily dragging our sport through the mud!.

Dukes: Was it a case of maybe Mckenzie underestimated the Bomber?

Bellew: He underestimates my toughness and my will to win! He could never imagine what I go through in camp nor could he replicate it! I push myself to the limit EVERYDAY and I never second guess myself! I look in the mirror and know I have given it everything! I know he cannot do the same! I am a better fighter than him and deep down he knows this, He wants me to go out and fight him head on! Its his only hope against me! I’m gonna do what’s good for me in this fight and the only person who is gonna be upset is the upsetter!!.

Dukes: You survived two knock downs to come back and beat McKenzie, what would you put your success in that fight down to? Fighting spirit, Warriors grit or was it just a case of good conditioning in the camp leading up to the fight?

Bellew: I put it down to various things, My conditioning, My heart and my will! The biggest reason if the truth be known is my KIDS!! I ain’t going home to them without my belts! My kids are my life and I’m in this brutal game to give them a better life and if I have to scrape myself off a floor to do so then so be it! I have improved 10 fold in camp for this fight so don’t anticipate this happening again but you can never say never in boxing! Either way I have taken his best and he has only taken 50% of mine! On July 16th he'll feel the full force of a very motivated Bomber!!.


Dukes: you recently stated you want to make a name for yourself and leave a legacy, do you think this should be important for every boxer?

Bellew: Its a catch 22, I mean I’m the game to make money but also create a legacy especially on the domestic scene, I mean look at Jamie Moore! I take my hat off to what he did domestically!! The guy is unreal, If I can be remembered like he is then, Il be happy with that kind of legacy! A world title would be the icing on the cake but for now I just want to dominate on the domestic scene.

Dukes: You almost had a shot at the WBO world title when you stepped in at short notice due to Jurgen Brahmer pulling out against Nathan Cleverly, it must have been hard to pick your spirits up when you failed to make the weight how did you deal with this?.

Bellew: It was the darkest 36 hours I have endured BUT I have a fantastic team around me and they all where there for me! I lost 14 pounds in 18 1/2 hours and had 6 more pounds to lose, I went into a sauna for the last 2 1/2 hours and only lost 1/2 a pound! It was then that the boxing board stepped in and had my health at the forefront!!

Dukes: A world title shot surely is not far away and we all know who’s title you’re after but do you think Nathan Cleverly would risk fighting you before heading to the states in the quest of more titles?.

Bellew: I have to come through July 16th first and until I do come through it's all about Ovill McKenzie, He presents a massive amount of danger! I am not underestimating him and will not be going into the fight naive this time! We can talk about my future in the press conference after the fight on July 16th.

Dukes: It seems every week there’s a new fighter on the scene from Liverpool, Like yourself, Stephen Smith and David Price, what is the secret behind the talent coming out of Liverpool?

Bellew: There are great amateur gym in the city, Rotunda ABC is a fantastic gym and is in a deprived area of the city so it appeals to the kids round there, I feel David Price is gonna be the future of boxing in the city and will be Britain’s answer to the Klitschko brothers! He is a great fighter and a top athlete! he also has a lovely aura and personality too, He is very old school and very humble, Look out also for the likes of Joseph McNally, Joseph Selkirk and Paul Edwards from Liverpool!.

Dukes: Who was your inspiration behind becoming a boxer?

Bellew: My Dad nurtured me towards it but never forced me, I idolised Tyson & Riddick "Big Daddy" Bowe.., Bowe is my all time favourite fighter! I love him!.

Dukes: Which current boxer do you most enjoy watching? (Pro’s Choice)

Bellew: Mayweather is the man on P4P scene but I study various fighters such as Toney, Hopkins, Roy Jones Jr ,Sanchez, Chavez, Morales and Juan Manuel Marquez and so on! I really admire top level fighters who use there brains to outwit and outsmart top level fighters!! Its truly inspiring!.

Dukes: Who wins Haye/Klitschko?

Bellew: I was all Klitschko at first BUT as of today and seeing the weigh in I’m lumping £100 on each of rounds 2&3 for David Haye to win by knockout!! David is really gonna utilise his speed and he is gonna catch Wlad out!
WAR HAYEMAKER!!.

We would like to say a massive to Tony ‘Bomber’ Bellew as he is training for a fight, especially against an opponent that can almost certainly cause big problems in Tony’s quest to get his hands on a world title shot. We also wish Tony the very best of luck for July 16th and I look forward to working with the ‘Bomber’ in the near future as he was an absolute gentleman and a pure pleasure to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment