Thursday 23 June 2011

Silver Dukes EXCLUSIVE Q&A with JJ Bird


Another addition of Dukes’ Quick Fire Top 5. It has been a busy day at Silver Dukes Boxing News as we have been digging up the dirt on the UK’s Finest Punchers and Shakers to give YOU the next Silver Dukes Online EXCLUSIVE. In the proverbial Hot Seat from 200+ miles away (Still not sure why I got the Hoover out before this interview) We have Peterborough’s JJ Bird.

JJ is no stranger to the spot light and you may remember him as a big brother finalist or winning £10,000 on ITV’s The Cube, But more than likely your fondest memories of JJ Bird will be his famous win over British and Commonwealth Contender David Walker, as we are here to talk about Boxing and not who we think will go in the jungle this year, JJ has swapped Golden Balls for the Gym.

JJ has had a tough time of it in the ring since turning Pro in 2007 with a 5-5-2 Record, here’s JJ Quick Fire Top 5,


Dukes: What's happening in the life of JJ Bird?

JJ: My life at the moment is nothing but early morning runs and training in the gym with Spencer Oliver

Dukes: Will we be seeing you back in the rind any time soon?

JJ: Yes I'm back on the 9th July fighting on the under card to Kevin Mitchell v John Murray (Check out Gav’s Pick on Prediction Page)

Dukes: You have made many TV appearances but what sort of pressure do the TV cameras bring to a fight?

JJ: Well I’ve been on a couple of televised fights and they haven't fazed me. Its still only me an my opponent fighting


Dukes: How is your Fight Preparations going?

JJ: It’s going good, obviously I've had a 2year break from boxing so there's been a lot of ring rust to get rid of but I'm improving every day in the gym

Dukes: Which current Boxer do you enjoy watching most? (Pro's Choice)

JJ: I’m a massive Floyd Mayweather fan but he's been out of the ring a while although he has a fight scheduled later this year

JJ Bird makes in long awaited return to the ring after two years out, on the card of John Murray v Kevin Mitchell July 9th at the Excel Arena. This is a huge opportunity to get his career back on track at possibly the biggest domestic fights of the year. So, I decided I wanted a little more.

Dukes: What threats do you feel Matt Scriven could bring to the fight?

JJ: Well he is a tough durable fighter that's not to be taken lightly. He doesn’t get stopped very often and if I'm not on point and sharp he has the ability to cause me problems


Dukes: Do you feel this is a do or die fight with your record and that a loss could make you slip into a Journeyman status?

JJ: No I don't see this as a do or die fight, I believe for me this is a new start to my boxing career, granted I have to make a lot of improvements if I want to as successful career as I aim to. But I believe I have what it takes at the very least to make it to British title level, I'm not saying its going to happen overnight and I'm fully prepared to put the hard work in I need to, to get there. My record doesn't look great on paper but u think a lot of pressure is put on fighters to keep an unblemished record. When you look at the opponents I've fought and lost to and even drawn and then look at their records they have been unbeaten or maybe lost 1 fight and I have taken fights last minute and haven't disgraced myself losing marginally. This is because I believe you have to fight fighters that are going to test you all the time and I've never been scared to put my record on the line to try to improve.

Dukes: Do you think Ring Rust will cause a problem and will you be fighting fit come July 9th?

JJ: There might be a bit of ring rust still, I mean any boxer will tell you that there's a big difference between sparring and gym fitness, so some ring rust is normal, and especially after 2 years without a competitive fight

Dukes: Does it add any more pressure being on the card of such a highly anticipated domestic battle?

JJ: I guess there is a little pressure but not because of the bill I'm on, more because of how I'm perceived because of big brother and my record to date! But I aim to go out and give a solid convincing performance, it could be in a field somewhere with 5 people watching and there would still be pressure. I just can't wait to get back out there and start a fresh

Dukes: Just how far do you believe you can go?

JJ: As said above I believe I can get to at least British title level and that's my main focus now. Obviously step by step and not looking past Matt Scrivern on the 9th but I believe if I put in 100% determination dedication and discipline I'll get there! People will doubt me but in a way that helps push me a little more

Dukes: Who's going to win, Haye/Klitschko?

JJ: I think its a close fight but Klitschko hasn't fought anyone like Haye. It could go either way, I mean Haye’s quick and does hit hard and if he catches Klitschko he will go, but if Haye let's his guard down Klitschko has the power to do the same as we've see Haye get caught before. But if I was to put money on it I'd go Haye by K.O rounds 8-10

Silver Dukes would like to say a big thank you to JJ for taking time out of his preparations to talk to us ahead of his big fight and we wish him the very best of luck for his big night and well into the future.
Personally I think JJ has every chance of becoming a future British champion, and going back to a previous post, Look at some of the world’s best and how many losses are on their records. JJ is a young hungry fighter and I still believe a boxer doesn’t know what they are capable of until they lose a fight, Some fighters choose the easier path of hand picked opponents then are shell shocked when they’re on the wrong end of a result and it’s those fighters that find it harder to bounce back.

Make sure you tune in to Sky Sports 9th July I’m sure you will but see for yourself why I am backing JJ Bird. I look forward to writing the fight review and when he’s champ you can say “Silver Dukes was right”.
Thanks Again to JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment